Moreuil Wood 2022
It has been 104 years since C squadron’s charge at Moreuil Wood, and this year the Regiment was once again allowed to stand proudly on the parade square to remember this moment in history. Though COVID has limited our ability to hold the parade in all its glory, members of LdSH(RC) assembled in a modified parade on Tuesday 12 April 2022, to celebrate the achievements of many soldiers throughout the past year.
Over the year several tests and calls to action have been expected of the Regiment. Through work up training for operations overseas, Combat Team Commander’s Course in the fall and closely followed by an IRU call out to BC to aid in flood response, the soldiers of the Regiment have endured yet another High-tempo year. The Moreuil Wood parade gave the Regiment some time to reflect on all the hardships endured by our soldiers throughout the years. Recognizing the hard work and tenacity of members is paramount to ensure the Strathcona name is always the first looked to in times of need.
As is tradition during our Moreuil Wood Parade, many deserving soldiers were recognized for their outstanding performance, dedication and leadership. We are pleased to announce the recipients of this year’s Moreuil Wood Awards:
- Fox Bugle – Cpl Dylan Braconnier
- Colonel of the Regiment Silver Stick – MCpl Kal McNeil
- Milroy Crossbelt – Sgt Kevin Crowe
- Neatby Pace-Stick – WO Stewart Mcloughlin
- Hessin Memorial Sword – Capt Miles Smith
- Macaulay Sword – Capt Steve Chou
- The Ross Gear – Cpl Wesley Smith
- The Olympic Torch – Capt Matthew Hoffart
- Prince of Wales Trophy – A Squadron
Additional awards and presentations conducted during the week included:
- Canadian Forces Decoration – Sgt Andrew Sherlock-Hubbard and MCpl Gregory Dobson
- Awarded the CO’s Coin – MCpl Joshua Rourke, Cpl Alexander Robinson and Cpl Jamie Chapman
- Awarded the RSM’s Coin – MCpl Andrew Elms
We would also like to acknowledge the following promotions:
- Promoted to Master Corporal – MCpl Phillip Breau, MCpl Stanley Burke, MCpl Jeffrey Landry, MCpl Zachary Marshall, MCpl Juan Moceton-Velasquez, MCpl Jordan Schemenauer and MCpl Anastasia Phills
- Promoted to Sergeant – Sgt Patrick Grubber and Sgt Andrew Kewley
Unfortunately the Regiment was unable to host a celebration which included guests from outside of the Regiment. We thank you for your continued understanding during these times and we look forward to the years when we can once again invite our extended Regimental family, friends and supporters to celebrate the achievements made by our soldiers.